|Job Title: ||Communications Leader – Public Health|
|Work Site: ||Public Affairs, Vancouver General Hospital|
Regular Full Time
As soon as possible
0800-1600, with Saturday, Sunday, and statutory holidays off
Are you the next Communications Leader – Public Health at Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH)? Apply today to join our team!
As a Communications Leader – Public Health you will report to the Director, Public Affairs and Stakeholder Engagement to develop, plan and implement integrated communications plans on behalf of Vancouver Coastal Health.
Your work will involve providing leadership and consultation in all aspects of communications to advance public health initiatives while maintaining and strengthening the health authority’s reputation with both internal and external stakeholders. This complex but rewarding role also manages and evaluates media relations, public health activities and campaigns that have a significant impact on the public.
In addition to the above, your work may also involve:
- Providing support in organizing, prioritizing and coordinating the health authority’s response to issues, and having a lead role in providing accurate information in response to issues.
- Using his/her knowledge of views and perspectives of internal and external audiences, and knowledge of VCH goals and objectives to develop, implement and evaluate strategic communication plans in support of media relations and issues management activities.
- Being responsible for the timely and effective development and distribution of materials to media audiences and internal and external stakeholders.
- Preparing issues notes and other briefing materials.
- Writing news releases and pitching story ideas.
- Organizing news conferences and acting as a media spokesperson for VCH as required.
- Developing and implementing public health marketing and communications plans and, providing strategic communication advice and services to senior leaders, directors, managers and staff across the organization.
WHO WE ARE
Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH) is a world class innovator in medical care, research and teaching, delivering service to more than one million BC residents living in Vancouver, Vancouver's North Shore, Richmond, the Sea-to-Sky Highway, Sunshine Coast, and the Central Coast (Bella Bella and Bella Coola.) At VCH, we embrace thinking boldly, taking smart risks, and "going first" when we believe it will lead to the best possible outcomes for patients and their families. At our core, we are a people-focused organization where entrepreneurial spirit runs deep, and opportunity exists for all those who see themselves in the transformation of health care as we know it.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Marketing, or Journalism plus a minimum of seven (7) to ten (10) years’ recent, related experience or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Advanced abilities with various computer applications, including a working knowledge of social media tools.
- The ideal candidate will possess an impressive record of achievement in determining the views and perspectives of multiple audiences - internal and external - and in designing communications and media relations strategies that reflect those needs in advancing organizational goals and objectives.
Knowledge & Abilities
- Demonstrated skill and experience in journalistic writing and editing skills to compose briefing materials, news releases, key messages and communication strategies for a variety of target audiences in a clear and concise manner.
- Demonstrated ability to create and execute strategic communication plans with measurable objectives and results.
- Ability to recognize emerging issues and opportunities, garner resources to manage the response to them, while demonstrating tact, diplomacy and composure.
- Ability to be creative in developing new approaches to resolving issues and enhancing organizational reputation.
- Ability to effectively work with senior leaders and other stakeholders in a wide variety of settings across the organization.
- Is practical, with an open, team-oriented approach to establishing good working relationships with internal and external stakeholder groups/partners in routine and controversial situations.
- Demonstrated ability to set priorities and be results-oriented. And remain calm, alert and high functioning under stressful situations.
- Demonstrated ability to handle highly confidential and sensitive issues with skill, good judgment tact and diplomacy and to carry out the duties of the position with a high degree of ethical and professional behaviour.
- Demonstrated problem-solving and interpersonal skills.
- Physical ability to perform the duties of the position.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted for this posting.
***Employees of VCH must apply via the Internal Application Process. Refer to the https://my.vch.ca/working-here/job-postings site for How to Apply instructions. Current VCH employees who apply to this posting using this external site will be considered as an external candidate. Seniority will not apply.***
Thank you for your interest in Vancouver Coastal Health.