|Job Title: ||Medical Health Officer|
|Work Site: ||Community Health - Vancouver, BC|
Regular Full Time
As soon as possible
Come work as a Medical Health Officer with Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH)!
Vancouver Coastal Health is looking for a Medical Health Officer to join its team in Vancouver, BC. This position will report to the Chief Medical Health Officer and Vice-President Public Health. Apply today to join our team!
As a Medical Health Officer with Vancouver Coastal Health you will:
- Assume accountability for the attainment of the strategic objectives and operational plans of the organization with respect to public health as approved by the Board, Chief Executive Officer (CEO) and Senior Executive Team (SET) of VCH.
- Have an Order in Council appointment under the Public Health Act with the accompanying legislative responsibilities.
- Maintain professional standards and enforce a variety of Acts and regulations such as the Public Health Act including Communicable Disease Regulations, the School Act, the Community Care and Assisted Living Act, the Drinking Water Protection Act, the Tobacco Control Act and the Food Safety Act.
- Monitor and report on the health status of the population and provide leadership in Population Health Promotion, Public Health Policy Development and the planning, development, implementation and evaluation of the public health programs designed to protect and enhance the health of the region’s population.
- Work collaboratively with the Health Authority, other agencies and boards in the community (such as Municipal Councils, School Boards, Ministry for Children and Family Development, Ministry of the Environment, and other Ministries and community agencies) to assist in resolving health related problems.
- Provide medical leadership to VCH staff in areas including but not limited to Environmental Health Protection, Community Care Facilities Licensing, Maternal and Preschool Child Health, School Health, Adult Seniors Health, Non-Communicable Disease Prevention, Injury Prevention, Emergency Preparedness Planning, Communicable Disease Control, Quarantine, Travel Medicine, Mental Health, Harm Reduction, Homelessness, and Population Health Advocacy.
- Provide clinical and/or administrative direction to support staff and health professionals, including physicians, Epidemiologists, Environmental Health Officers, Public Health Nurses and others working in public health programs.
WHO WE ARE:
Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH) is a world class innovator in medical care, research and teaching, delivering service to more than one million BC residents living in Vancouver, Vancouver's North Shore, Richmond, the Sea-to-Sky Highway, Sunshine Coast, and the Central Coast (Bella Bella and Bella Coola.) At VCH, we embrace thinking boldly, taking smart risks, and "going first" when we believe it will lead to the best possible outcomes for patients and their families. At our core, we are a people-focused organization where entrepreneurial spirit runs deep, and opportunity exists for all those who see themselves in the transformation of health care as we know it.
Education & Experience
- A Medical Degree (MD) with a full license to practice medicine in British Columbia plus a Fellowship in Public Health and Preventive Medicine; at least five (5) years’ experience in progressively more complex and senior public health leadership roles in a large multi-site organization with responsibilities for the development, implementation and evaluation of operational and strategic plans.
Knowledge & Abilities
- Utilizes superior epidemiological and data analysis skills to analyze, interpret and disseminate public health data to inform and evaluate public health programming
- Maintains up-to-date knowledge of legislative policy development and processes of various levels of government to ensure well-informed decision-making.
- Uses strong leadership, strategic thinking, problem solving and innovative abilities to develop effective strategies and ensure support and attainment of goals.
- Applies superior judgment and political expertise as well as a strong understanding of the essence and subtleties of communication to relay sensitive information and effectively persuade and negotiate with a variety of internal and external stakeholders.
- Responds effectively to the needs of the stakeholders while maintaining an acute awareness of the impact of actions.
- Uses sound business acumen to develop and maintain mutually beneficial relationships with internal and external stakeholders throughout high profile endeavours.
This posting has been posted internally and externally concurrently. External applicants will be considered after internals.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted for this posting.
***Employees of VCH must apply via the Internal Application Process. Refer to the https://my.vch.ca/working-here/job-postings site for How to Apply instructions. Current VCH employees who apply to this posting using this external site will be considered as an external candidate. Seniority will not apply.***
Thank you for your interest in Vancouver Coastal Health.