|Job Title: ||Occupational Therapist 1|
|Work Site: ||Tertiary Mental Health, BC Psychosis - UBC Hospital|
|Status: ||Regular Full Time|
|Start Date: ||As soon as possible|
|Salary: ||$33.83 - $42.19 per hour|
|Hours: ||0800-1600, with Saturday, Sunday, and statutory holidays off|
Come work as an Occupational Therapist with Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH)!
RECOVERY, STRENGTH, RESPECT, RESILIENCE
Vancouver Coastal Health Mental Health and Addictions Services is committed to collaborating with consumers and families to build on strengths, talents and interests in order to foster a community of hope, growth and self-determination.
Vancouver Coastal Health is looking for an Occupational Therapist to join the BC Psychosis Program at UBC Hospital. Apply today to join our team! As an Occupational Therapist at UBC Hospital you will:
- Provide occupational therapy services to individuals who have complex mental health illnesses and may have co-occurring addictions and medical conditions.
- Enable clients to achieve and maintain optimal health outcomes by working independently and as a member of an interdisciplinary team.
- Perform assessments of clients’ occupational performance utilizing an evidence-based approach.
- Plan and implement outcome oriented services, and evaluate the effectiveness of the services.
- Prepare and maintain records.
- Participate in interdisciplinary research.
- Demonstrate safe and effective resource utilization and quality management, and contribute to the development, review and promotion of occupational therapy services.
- Use knowledge and skill in the area of professional practice to independently manage a complex caseload and implements occupational therapy services utilizing diverse intervention approaches.
- Acts as an Occupational Therapy resource for the designated area/s and provide education and counseling to clients/families.
- As required, contribute to the organization and delivery of occupational therapy services, provide leadership, direction and clinical guidance to rehabilitation staff.
- Participate in departmental/program quality improvement initiatives, meetings, research and education.
WHO WE ARE:
Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH) is a world class innovator in medical care, research and teaching, delivering service to more than one million BC residents living in Vancouver, Vancouver's North Shore, Richmond, the Sea-to-Sky Highway, Sunshine Coast, and the Central Coast (Bella Bella and Bella Coola.) At VCH, we embrace thinking boldly, taking smart risks, and "going first" when we believe it will lead to the best possible outcomes for patients and their families. At our core, we are a people-focused organization where entrepreneurial spirit runs deep, and opportunity exists for all those who see themselves in the transformation of health care as we know it.
ABOUT THE BC PSYCHOSIS PROGRAM:
BC Psychosis Program is located on the University of British Columbia campus in Detwiller Pavilion. Our Program provides highly specialized assessment and treatment for adults whose psychotic illness has been difficult to treat and/or for whom the psychiatric diagnosis is unclear.
Education & Experience
- Baccalaureate in Occupational Therapy.
- Two (2) years’ recent, related experience working in a psychiatric setting with individuals who have complex mental health and addictions issues or equivalent.
- Current full registration with the College of Occupational Therapists of British Columbia (COTBC).
- Eligible for membership in the Canadian Association of Occupational Therapists (CAOT).
Knowledge & Abilities
- Knowledge of the principles of recovery in mental illness.
- Knowledge of Psychosocial Rehabilitation methodology.
- Knowledge of the Mental Health Act as it applies to the rights and obligations of clients and staff.
- Knowledge of community, social and mental health resources.
- Ability to identify emotional, social, or environmental barriers and intervene to eliminate stigma.
- Ability to effectively manage conflict situations and aggressive behaviour and use non-violent crisis intervention and behavioural management techniques.
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively as a member of an interdisciplinary team.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing with clients, families, team members, other groups and community agency personnel.
- Broad knowledge of therapy theory and clinical practice within a client and family centred model of care.
- Broad knowledge of other health care disciplines and their role in client care.
- Demonstrated ability to establish workload priorities in collaboration with others in a complex health care environment.
- Demonstrated ability to recognize when referral to another health care professional is required.
- Basic knowledge of evidence-based clinical practice related to designated program/area.
- Basic understanding of trauma-informed care
- Basic computer literacy to operate a computerized client care information system and word processing, spreadsheet, Internet and e-mail software.
- Basic knowledge of clinical standardized tests and measures.
- Basic knowledge of research process and methodology.
- Physical ability to perform the duties of the position.
- Skill in the use of equipment, and in the techniques appropriate to occupational therapy treatment.
The hours of work including days off and work area may be subject to change consistent with operational requirements and the provision of the Collective Agreement and applicable statutes. Successful applicants may be required to complete a Criminal Records Review Check.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted for this posting.
***Employees of VCH must apply via the Internal Application Process. Refer to the https://my.vch.ca/working-here/job-postings site for How to Apply instructions. Current VCH employees who apply to this posting using this external site will be considered as an external candidate. Seniority will not apply.***
Thank you for your interest in Vancouver Coastal Health.