|Job Title: ||Registered Nurse (RN) / Registered Psychiatric Nurse (RPN) - Long Term Care|
|Work Site: ||Intermediate Care Unit, Hilltop House Long Term Care Facility - Squamish, BC|
|Status: ||Temporary Full Time|
|Start Date: ||As soon as possible until approximately January 31, 2020|
|Salary: ||$34.83 - $45.73 per hour|
|Hours: ||0700 - 1900/1900 - 0700, with rotating days off|
Come work as an RN/RPN in Long Term Care with Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH) in Squamish, BC!
As an RN/RPN in Long Term Care you will:
- Use sound judgment and applies critical thinking skills in providing resident care to predominantly older residents in a Long Term Care setting, both by working independently and as a member of an interdisciplinary team.
- Demonstrate expertise and leadership in nursing practice and coordinates the implementation of clinical interventions, evaluation of resident outcomes based on resident goals of care.
- Act as a resource for the interdisciplinary team by providing information and coordination of ongoing resident care.
- Support the work of RCA’s and LPN’s and supports cohesive team work to ensure resident centered care.
- Enhance quality of life of the resident/family.
- Consult, confer, and collaborate with other health care providers. Maintains and advances clinical competence. Participates on designated committees/teams and approved research projects as assigned.
ABOUT HILLTOP HOUSE:
Hilltop House is located in Squamish, BC, approximately one hour north of the Vancouver lower mainland and accessible on the scenic Sea to Sky highway. The area hosts an abundance of recreational activities such as mountain biking, hiking, rock climbing and kayaking, as well as a growing arts and culture scene. Hilltop House is a 61-bed long term care facility for seniors with complex needs. It provides home-like care for its permanent residents, as well as respite care, a community bathing program and adult day care for seniors.
Education & Experience
- Current practicing registration as a Registered Nurse or Registered Psychiatric Nurse with the British Columbia College of Nursing Professionals (BCCNP).
- Completion of an approved gerontology course or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Knowledge & Abilities
- Demonstrated ability in nursing practice related to residents who may have chronic diseases.
- Demonstrated knowledge of pathophysiology of common medical conditions, aging changes, polypharmacy, treatment protocols, and nursing interventions related to common diagnoses and specific care situations related to care of adults living in Long Term Care (e.g. Stroke, Chest pain, Pneumonia; Pain management; Wound Care; Delirium; Dementia; Depression; other mental health conditions; Frail elderly residents with physical and/or cognitive impairments including Acquired Brain Injuries; Chronic illnesses such as COPD and CHF, Diabetes).
- Demonstrated ability to provide nursing assessments & interventions related to common diagnoses and specific care situations relevant to residents (e.g. Respiratory symptoms such as Shortness of Breath; Pressure Ulcer (Braden Scale); Delirium (PRISME/CAMI); Dementia, (PIECES framework); Behavioral and Psychological Symptoms of Dementia (BPSD), GPA - Gentle Persuasion Approach; Dysphagia; Falls; Incontinence).
- Demonstrated ability in recognizing physical adaptations required to accommodate the frail elderly and/or physically impaired resident population.
- Demonstrated ability in End of Life care approaches, Embedding Palliative Approach in Long Term Care (EPAIRS) and systems of family dynamics and end-of-life issues. Proactively leads family/resident/Most Responsible Clinician discussions on goals of care and documents reflections of Medical Orders for Scope of Treatment.
- Demonstrated ability in Chronic Disease Management by being able to anticipate and respond to potential complications and care issues relevant to the designated resident group.
- Demonstrated ability in correct usage of equipment such as lifts, oxygen, suction machines, pumps, and other related equipment.
- Demonstrated ability in developing care plans and able to implement care in relation to resident and family priorities, including counselling and teaching residents and families based on their priorities.
- Demonstrated skill in the assessment and management of residents with acute/chronic pain management including residents with Cognitive impairment.
- Demonstrated skill in safe care & management of residents with Oxygen Therapy; VAC Dressing; Wound Care, Catheters, Ostomy Care, Tracheostomy Care, Ventilator Management, and other treatments.
- Demonstrated skill in performing RN autonomous scope of practice and standards of care relevant to designated patient/client population including IV, infection control, isolation protocols, outbreak protocols, Nicotine Replacement Therapy, acute event orders, etc.
This posting has been posted internally and externally concurrently. External applicants will be considered after internals.
The hours of work including days off and work area may be subject to change consistent with operational requirements and the provision of the Collective Agreement and applicable statutes.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted for this posting.
***Employees of VCH must apply via the Internal Application Process. Refer to the https://my.vch.ca/working-here/job-postings site for How to Apply instructions. Current VCH employees who apply to this posting using this external site will be considered as an external candidate. Seniority will not apply.***
Thank you for your interest in Vancouver Coastal Health.