|Job Title: ||Community Care Assistant (Community Health Worker/Care Aide)|
|Work Site: ||Home Support - Vancouver (All Areas) - Vancouver, BC|
|Start Date: ||As soon as possible|
|Salary: ||$21.48 - $23.49 per hour|
Community Care Assistants (Community Health Workers) are a core part of our communities as caregivers and make a significant impact on the quality of life of their clients and patients.
As a Community Care Assistant (Community Health Worker) at Vancouver Coastal Health you will make your impact by:
- Providing home support services to clients while working under the direction of the Supervisor/Coordinator/Manager or delegate.
- Assisting clients with the activities of daily living within varied settings to promote maximum independence.
- Observing and documenting on your clients’ health conditions and environment, reporting significant and unsafe observations and providing support and guidance.
- Providing input and feedback in the care planning process.
- Assisting in meeting the nutritional and elimination needs of clients.
- Performing additional delegated tasks under the Transfer of Function guidelines for clients in specific situations for which training has been provided.
New grads of the Health Care Assistant program are welcome to apply!
Community Care Assistants (Community Health Workers) at Vancouver Coastal Health operate within the context of a client and family centred care model and in accordance with established vision and values of the organization.
Education & Experience
- Graduation from a recognized Health Care Assistant Program.
- Current/Active Registration with BC Community Health Worker and Care Aide Registry.
- Valid BC Drivers License. Local travel requires the use of a personal vehicle.
- Experience interacting with persons with dementia, geriatric and/or palliative population will be an asset.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Basic knowledge of client-centered care and promoting independence
- Knowledge and ability to operate mechanical lifts, following safe work procedures
- Basic computer literacy to operate a computerized client care information system.
- Basic knowledge of self-care and motivational support
- Demonstrates correct use of body-mechanics and knowledge of injury prevention.
- Communicates effectively and in a culturally safe manner with client, caregivers and health care team.
- Demonstrates proficiency in verbal, nonverbal, and written skills through a variety of communication methods (e.g. paper and/or electronic chart, telephone and in-person).
- Ability to organize workload priorities within a team environment.
- Ability to take direction from the health care team and clients
- Home management skills.
- Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position.
- Knowledge of Gentle Persuasion Approach Techniques (GPA)
- Ability to motivate clients and encourage progression through therapeutic goals
- Ability to respond effectively and appropriate in a workplace setting.
The hours of work including days off and work area may be subject to change consistent with operational requirements and the provision of the Collective Agreement and applicable statutes. Successful applicants may be required to complete a Criminal Records Review Check.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted for this posting.
***Employees of VCH must apply via the Internal Application Process. Refer to the https://my.vch.ca/working-here/job-postings site for How to Apply instructions. Current VCH employees who apply to this posting using this external site will be considered as an external candidate. Seniority will not apply.***
Thank you for your interest in Vancouver Coastal Health.