|Job Title: ||Social Worker 2 - Master's Degree|
Mental Health and Substance Use, North Shore Community - North Vancouver, BC
Stepping Stones, Older Adult Mental Health Team (OAMHT), Foundry - North Vancouver
|Status: ||Regular Full Time|
|Start Date: ||As soon as possible|
|Salary: ||$35.56 - $44.36 per hour|
|Hours: ||0830/1630, with Saturday, Sunday, and statutory holidays off|
Come work as a Social Worker with Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH)!
Vancouver Coastal Health is looking for a Social Worker with a Master's Degree to join the Mental Health and Substance Use (MHSU) team in North Vancouver, BC.
This role is part of the intensive case management team at Stepping Stones. You will work with people with mental health and addictions in an outreach capacity. This involves collaborating with primary care providers as well as other Community agencies that work with marginalized and vulnerable populations.
Apply today to join our team!
As a Social Worker working in Mental Health and Substance Use, you will:
- Coordinate and support care and transitions across multiple sites, clinics, services. This includes: clients, family members, primary care/mental health/ substance use service providers, private General Practitioner (GP) partners, community care partners and services.
- Provide direct care activities such as psycho-social assessment, client-centred care plan development and implementation, care coordination, brokerage, direct client care, group and program delivery, evaluation and documentation of client care, as part of an integrated care team.
- Work with clients and families who are experiencing health challenges, and help identify client/family goals to address issues such as, but not limited to:
- mental health and substance use;
- chronic disease;
- complex care issues;
- end of life;
- and other social determinants of health.
- Use health management and/or self-care management principles to identify problems, address issues or variances from the plan of care in collaboration with the entire interdisciplinary team and any other health care services involved.
- Establish, maintain and enhance therapeutic relationships based on respect.
WHO WE ARE
Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH) is a world class innovator in medical care, research and teaching, delivering service to more than one million BC residents living in Vancouver, Vancouver's North Shore, Richmond, the Sea-to-Sky Highway, Sunshine Coast, and the Central Coast (Bella Bella and Bella Coola.) At VCH, we embrace thinking boldly, taking smart risks, and "going first" when we believe it will lead to the best possible outcomes for patients and their families. At our core, we are a people-focused organization where entrepreneurial spirit runs deep, and opportunity exists for all those who see themselves in the transformation of health care as we know it.
Education & Experience
- Master’s Degree in Social Work plus two (2) years’ recent related experience providing care through a holistic mental health, substance use and primary care lens or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Current full registration with the British Columbia College of Social Workers.
- Valid BC Drivers License.
- Second language an asset (e.g. Farsi)
Knowledge & Abilities
- Comprehensive knowledge of other health care disciplines and their role in client care.
- Demonstrated ability in dealing with a variety of situations and responsibilities requiring initiative, creativity and professional judgment.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of a client and family centered recovery model in mental illness.
- Knowledge and skills to provide care coordination to a select caseload of clients.
- Ability to assess clients at risk and knowledge of appropriate acts; e.g. Mental Health Act, Adult Guardianship, Public Health Act as it relates to the rights and obligations of clients and staff.
- Knowledge and experience in providing culturally safe and competent care, specifically pertaining to Aboriginal people.
- Knowledge and experience in Trauma Informed Practice, Harm Reduction and Recovery Oriented Care.
- Broad knowledge of crisis intervention and supportive counseling skills.
- Broad knowledge of mental health illness and treatment.
- Broad knowledge of substance abuse and addictions treatment.
- Broad knowledge of other facilities and community resources.
- Demonstrated ability to conduct mental status exams and suicide risk assessments.
- Demonstrated ability to provide care planning, supportive counseling, crisis intervention, and case coordination.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, with clients and their families, colleagues, physicians, and other health care staff, both one-on-one and in groups. Demonstrated listening and information seeking skills that promotes communication and lead to a cooperative approach to problem solving within a multidisciplinary setting.
- Demonstrated ability to establish workload priorities.
- Demonstrated ability to adjust schedule to deal with unexpected situations.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and collaboratively as a member of a multidisciplinary team.
- Demonstrated ability to provide consultation and leadership.
- Demonstrated ability to problem solve and use critical thinking skills.
- Demonstrated ability to deal effectively with conflict situations.
- Ability to operate related equipment.
- Physical ability to perform the duties of the position.
- Basic computer literacy to operate a computerized client care information system and word processing, Internet and email software.
The hours of work including days off and work area may be subject to change consistent with operational requirements and the provision of the Collective Agreement and applicable statutes.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted for this posting.
***Employees of VCH must apply via the Internal Application Process. Refer to the https://my.vch.ca/working-here/job-postings site for How to Apply instructions. Current VCH employees who apply to this posting using this external site will be considered as an external candidate. Seniority will not apply.***
Thank you for your interest in Vancouver Coastal Health.